Top Reasons to use Waterjet Cutting Services
Dr. Norman Franz discovered waterjet cutting in the 1950’s when he was seeking an alternative method to cut lumber. Since the inception of this cutting method, not only has it been used to help forestry engineers cut lumber from large trees but has helped in the metal industry.
A waterjet works to cut or clean materials by using a high-pressure stream of water. In order for the waterjet to be effective for cutting materials, the cutter is attached to a high-pressure water pump where the water is ejected from the nozzle. There may also be additives, such as abrasives, used to help with the cutting process.
There are many different benefits to using waterjet cutting for stainless steel or aluminum sheets.
1. The Power of Waterjets. Waterjets are extremely powerful and have the ability to cut through almost any thickness of aluminum and stainless steel.
2. Waterjets do not require heat Waterjet cutting is the preferred method for those materials that are sensitive to higher temperatures that are often created when using alternative methods. Waterjet cutting has a no heat-affected zone (HAZ) that prevents alterations and damage to the surface of the materials being cut.
3. There is a significantly high level of precision The precision of waterjets is high enough to state that the accuracy is 0.005″ and when repeated stands at 0.001″. Next to having an extremely high level of precision, the waterjets also produce a burr-free finish. The waterjets eliminate the need for a secondary surface finishing process and allows for expenses to be spared.
4.Waterjets are an extremely fast and efficient process for cutting projects Not much time is needed to set up the waterjet to cut materials. The cutting process is quicker than other methods that may be utilized for cutting materials. Re-cutting isn’t necessary because waterjets have such precision with cutting materials.
5. Waterjets are environmentally friendly The waterjet cutting process is considered to be one of the more environmentally friendly of all the methods. During the process of cutting materials with the waterjet, there are no byproducts produced. The use of waterjets prevents wasteful cutting from occurring, since the large pieces of reusable scrap material can be cut off.
When using waterjets to cut aluminum or stainless steel, there are a plethora of environmental advantages. Not a lot of water is necessary to use the waterjet. For each minute the waterjet is in use, approximately one half to one gallon of water will be used dependent upon the size of the cutting head orifice. By using a closed-looped system, the water used can be reused. Often, the waste water can be poured into the drain due to its being cleaned through the closed-looped system.
7. The waterjets create a safer work environment By using waterject cutting, smoke, fumes, dust particles, and contaminants can be avoided by workers. The elimination of exposure to these allows for improvements in the work environment and reduces problems that may arise from machinist exposure.